The Silver Blades Figure Skating Club (SBSC) is committed to ensuring that all skaters have the opportunity to participate in a safe and welcoming environment that is encouraging and promotes their overall development. Parents have an enormous influence on skaters’ experiences in the sport. The quality of a skater’s experience is influenced by their relationships with parents and the manner in which parents conduct themselves in the SBSC environment.
In this code “parents” shall refer to “parents and guardians” who are members of the SBSC or have children who are members of the SBSC. Parents shall always abide by this code while being at the rink, volunteering, attending or participating in any SBSC event, competition (at Silver Blades or at an event where SB is being represented) or sessions. All parents are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner consistent with the values of fair play, integrity, open communication and mutual respect.
Parents shall always model positive responsible behaviour and communicate with their child that they expect them to do the same. Parents will assume the major responsibility for their child’s on ice conduct and attitude. Parents shall always treat all individuals and property with dignity, courtesy and respect, including but not limited to skaters, coaches, officials, volunteers, other parents, and all other individuals that are part of the club, Section or Skate Canada.
- Parents must be courteous at all times to everyone, including skaters and their fellow parents in accordance with the Skate Canada’s Code of Ethics.
- For insurance reasons, Parents/Guardians are not permitted on the ice surface.
- Parents, Guardians or designate should remain in the arena for the entire session (until the child reaches 12 years of age), unless a designated parent has been assigned/contact information left with Coach.
- Coaches are not to be disturbed during lessons.
- Parents shall refrain from any behaviour or comments which are profane, insulting, harassing, sexist, racist, abusive, disrespectful or otherwise offensive.
- Parents shall emphasize the importance of values like sportsmanship, respect, cooperation, competition and teamwork to their child offering praise for competing fairly, participation and skill development.
- Parents shall instill confidence in their child’s ability and skill development, avoiding comparisons with other skaters.
- Parents shall celebrate the acquisition of skills and goals achieved by their child.
- Parents, along with the professional coach and the athlete, shall be considered members of a team whose main concern is the child’s overall progress and development.
- Parents shall respect that the professional coach is responsible and empowered for the on-ice and off-ice development of the athlete.
- Parents shall ensure their child wears proper skating clothing and equipment.
- Parents shall adhere to the policies, procedures, rules, standards, and ethics of the SBSC and Skate Canada at all times.
- Parents will not use technology or social media to disrespect or exploit others.
- Parents are not allowed to record another child that is not their own unless they have consent from said parent.
- Concerns/Complaints will be reviewed only if submitted in writing to the Board and will be reviewed by the Executive Board.
- Parents should not be communicating with their child while they are on the ice.
If a complaint is made in writing to the Executive board (email@example.com), the incident will be reviewed and disciplinary action may be taken.
I acknowledge that failure to comply with the Parent Code of Conduct by myself, or any member of my family, will result in disciplinary action up to and including revocation of membership.
Latest Review Date: July 30, 2023 Scheduled Review Date: July 2025 Date Created: July 2020